>Today’s Thursday dinner feature is a pretty sweet and easy one, yay!
In my trusty Gooseberry Slow-Cooker Recipes cookbook, I found this delicious chowder recipe. I especially loved it, because so many chowder recipes call for an obscene amount of cream or whole milk, which my stomach is not a fan of.
Since this was a Crock-Pot recipe, I was able to take 20 minutes out of my morning before work to assemble the recipe and turn on the cooker, and then return home to add a few last ingredients and have dinner on the table within half an hour. That’s my kind of recipe!
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed
14-1/2 oz can chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1 cup baby carrots, sliced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp dried thyme
10-3/4 oz can cream of chicken & broccoli soup
1/2 cup milk
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
10-oz pkg frozen broccoli, thawed
Combine chicken, broth, water, carrots, mushrooms, onion and seasonings in a slow cooker; mix well. Cover and cook on low setting for 7 to 9 hours.
|Chopping up the chicken with my new baby. Love a good Santoku knife!|
|In the crock and ready to go!|
In a small bowl, whisk together soup, milk and flour; stir into slow cooker along with broccoli. Cover and cook an additional thirty minutes, or until broccoli is tender. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Tricks of the Trade:
- I used chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs. This helped make it a leaner soup, but still tasted delicious.
- I used frozen chicken, and only thawed it partially to make the chopping significantly easier.
- I chopped the chicken up into fairly small pieces. I don’t really believe in a chowder that you need a knife and fork to eat.
- I substituted cream of chicken soup for cream of chicken & broccoli, because I have truthfully never seen cream of chicken & broccoli in the grocery store. Suggestions anyone?
- You can see from the photos this isn’t a super-creamy chowder. I think if you wanted to make it creamier, you could always top it off with a little half & half.
- Sprinkling it with a blend of shredded Italian cheeses makes it even more delicious!